Should I Use An Electric Toothbrush?
At Gaston Dental Associates, we have many patients ask us whether an electric toothbrush or manual toothbrush is better for maintaining the best oral healthcare. In the dental world there are strong arguments on either side, and a lot of it comes down to personal preference, so we have put together a breakdown of the pros and cons for both types of brushes to help you decide.
Benefits of Using a Manual Toothbrush
- Manual toothbrushes have more options of size, shape, and bristle material. If you have sensitive teeth or gums, softer bristles may be a better option for you.
- It is important to replace your tooth brush every few months to keep up good hygiene. Although you can replace the head of an electric toothbrush, it is much less expensive to buy a new manual toothbrush.
- When you are traveling or on the go, you can easily pack a smaller manual toothbrush with you to ensure you are able to brush twice a day or after meals.
Benefits of Using an Electric Toothbrush
- With an electric toothbrush, all the grunt work is done for you. Through built in timers and rotating bristles, your toothbrush will ensure that you are brushing thoroughly. The oscillation helps cover the entire surface of each tooth and helps remove plaque along your gum line.
- Electric toothbrushes make it much easier to keep braces and other orthodontic devices clean since they can provide a variety of movements to brush hard to reach areas.
- Young children and people with arthritis or other medical issues who may have difficulty with the manual brushing movement can easily use an electric toothbrush to ensure they are covering all the cleaning their teeth need.
An electric toothbrush may do all the work for you, but at the end of the day it is up to the brusher to ensure teeth are healthy and clean. Proper brushing technique, brushing twice daily, and keeping up with your regular dental appointments with us are the best, proven methods to staying on top of your oral healthcare. Call us at 704-396-6166 to schedule your next appointment or to speak with one of our team members about the best dental care regimen for your individual health!